Saturday, November 15, 2008

Elise's Spiteful Tongue

My lime and chilli beer, dubbed Elise's Spiteful Tongue, (other possible names were the Cold Englishman and the Fruity Tingle) is a stunning success! I made the beer with the juice of two limes added to the wort. When I bottled the beer I added a small chilli to half of the bottles. The result - the beers with chilli have a definate spice tingle and is not for the faint hearted somewhat overshadowing the tinge of lime. The limey beers without chilli have a light and fresh quality along with the lime overtones. A friend even likened it to cidar. As shown in the recipe below I used a mexican lager kit as I was hoping to attain a similar easy, light brew to corona, thus maximising the influence of the lime and chilli flavours
Personally I think my summer is complete. I will try a similar brew in the next few months, but with different sized chillies and observe the difference.

Recipe
Black Rock Mexican Lager
500g Dry light malt
500g Dextrose
Juice of 2 limes squeezed
Small red chillis

4.6% Alcohol

Notes:
- The chillis need to be sterilised. I used Scotch Whiskey (most strong spirits should be fine)

- You can add the chillis to the primary fermenter if you wish, but adding them to the bottle allows the production of non-spicy beer too, in case you fellow beer conniseurs do not enjoy spice.

- I've been told the size of a chilli is directly related to its spiciness the smaller the chilli the spicier it is. Keep this in mind when choosing chillis. Green chillies are much hotter than red chillies.

3 comments:

Alcifer said...

Following a short motorcycle expedition to Gundaroo on Sunday afternoon we sampled some of this EST brew. The spiciness of EST is significant and surprising though one may be pressed to spend a whole night on the chilli-style beer. Interestingly, the aroma derived from 3-isobutyl 2-methoxy pyrazine is dominating. This aroma is distinctive of capsicums and is a novel addition to a beer!

Orbie said...

It's a hot one. Warms you right through! How about a similar but more winter-styled beer to keep us warm through the next chilly Canberra winter.

Scarykrill said...

I have since found that the capsicum flavour varies from beer to beer. The one we drank that day was quite strong compared to some I have since